Continuity Free

Monday, January 12, 2009

Bottles of beer on the floor

I may have a drinking problem.

64 bottles of beer. I have 64 bottles of beer in my basement. Actually, I have 70 bottles of beer, but 6 of those bottles are the big 750ml/1 liter style. In total, I might have something on the order of three cases of beer in the house, especially if you count the fridge (4 bottles of beer). That's *after* I got rid of 7 bottles of beer (from when I went to Thanksgiving at Mike and Kathy's; no, not in 2008). And who's the majority beer drinker at the house? Me. I've gotta work through 3 cases of beer. Good beer. (Ok, 4 Coronas in there, but *otherwise* good beer.) (And really, Corona's not all that bad, provided it's July and 90 degrees.) And some of them weren't stouts or porters. Quite the exercise in variety, as far as I'm concerned.

Truthfully, I have about 63-and-a-half bottles of beer. I'm drinking a Bell's Pale Ale right now. First beer I've had from Bell's. Tasty. Goes well with the week-old dip I'm polishing off. Should I perish, now you know why. Dead by champagne dip gone bad. Gone wrong. At least he enjoyed a nice Bell's Pale Ale before he shuffled off this mortal coil. Pale ales that are smooth, that don't over-hop, I like. Dogfish Head's effort to create a 240 minute IPA is impressive, but really, a bit unnecessary. If I want to, I can just eat some hops directly.

So I've got these 64, no, 63-and-a...third bottles of beer. If I hadn't been in DC this weekend, visitng my brother-in-law, I wouldn't have this problem. I'd have... well, 40-odd bottles of beer. But there was a Total Wine off of 395 in Alexandria. And they had two big aisles of beer. Big, long, aisles. With some foreign stuff, but a good variety of Americans. Wandering around, I more or less lost track of time, and it wasn't like Eli was throwing touchdowns anyway. An hour later, I came out of the fog with $75 worth of beer, stuffed into a case box. And a bottle of wine for my wife. Covering my bases.

Thankfully, I'm down to 63 bottles of beer. Somehow, I'll survive. But I've given Andre permission to warn me off from buying any more until stocks have depleted.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home